UncategorizedDo I Really Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector in my Charlotte Home?

January 18, 2019by Sophie The Dog
https://gopatterson.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/carbon-monoxide-1280x854.jpg

The short answer is yes! You should always have carbon monoxide detectors in your home, and depending on the size of your home, you may want to consider a few. You should by local code, have a detector on every floor of your home and placed throughout larger homes. Carbon monoxide detectors are fairly inexpensive, they can be plugged in or mounted to the wall, and should last between five and seven years.

What Is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide (https://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm) , also known as the silent killer, is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that can kill you. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include: a dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness. Physical symptoms are your only warning sign of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home. You may become incapacitated before you even realize what is happening. It is a scary possibility and one that is entirely preventable. Carbon monoxide detectors alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide before it’s too late.

How Does Carbon Monoxide Get in My Charlotte Home?

So where does it come from anyhow? There are several ways carbon monoxide can show up in your home. Carbon monoxide is created whenever fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) are burned incompletely. Anything used in the home that burns these fuels has the potential to cause carbon monoxide to leak into your home.

Generators used too close to the home, in the garage, or near an open window or vents are a common cause of carbon monoxide poisoning. Cars running in the garage are another potential source.

But what about inside your home?  Unfortunately, everyday heating appliances can be the source of a carbon monoxide poisoning and should be properly ventilated.  Furnaces, water heaters, and fireplaces all burn fossil fuels and are potentially dangerous.

Furnaces may be a potential source of carbon monoxide when the heat exchanger cracks. The cracked heat exchanger may release carbon monoxide into the air circulated through the vents in your home. A certified HVAC technician from Patterson Heating & Air Conditioning should check your furnace once a year.

Now That You’ve Read the Long Answer, What Should You Do?

Buy carbon monoxide detectors for every floor and install one outside each sleeping area. Make sure heat sources are properly ventilated and stick to a maintenance plan for your furnace.

If your carbon monoxide detector’s alarm sounds, get your family and yourself outside into the fresh air and call your fire department.

Options for Your Home

There are many choices for carbon monoxide detectors for your home.  Many can be purchased online or at your local home improvement retailer, but Patterson recommends only the best for its customers.  The National Comfort Institute (https://www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com ) endorses the model NSI 3000 (https://www.myhomecomfort.org/professional-grade-low-level-carbon-monoxide-monitor-nsi-3000/ )  for homes.  It senses levels of CO down to 5ppm, and it provides a varying array of visual and audible alarms, depending upon the CO level in the home.  Many brands purchased today offer minimal protection for healthy adults due to their inaccuracy and level of detection. Contact (https://gopatterson.com/contact/ ) Patterson Heating & Air Conditioning to answer any questions you may have about the product.

“Good People, Amazing Service!”  “That’s the Patterson Promise”

https://gopatterson.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/natelogo_color-320x318.jpg
https://gopatterson.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/window-decal-2017.png
CHARLOTTE OFFICE
3922 Greensboro St.
Charlotte, NC 28206